Dr. Colleen Tyler, N.D. is now a certified prolotherapy provider and we are excited to offer this effective therapy to our Asula patients.
Prolotherapy is a form of regenerative injection therapy that treats acute and chronic injuries as well as difficult to resolve joint pain. Prolotherapy is used to heal tissue naturally by causing a purposeful, mild inflammation response near damaged tissue. This inflammatory response causes a healing cascade that regenerates the tissue of ligaments, joint capsules, tendons, fascia, and muscle fibers, and increases the tensegrity and stability of joints.
Prolotherapy is a great tool to help stimulate the healing of many untreatable, chronic, painful injuries as well as acute joint pain. With its ability to regenerate and rebuild previously injured tissue, it can restore function to joints, and in turn, lessens or eradicates symptoms of pain. This treatment can be very effective in treating an acute injury that will not heal in a timely fashion or a long-term degenerated joint that is now achy and unstable.
Here are the standard prices for Prolotherapy:
- $225 for an injection into one joint area
- $125 for a second injection into a similar joint on the same day
- $175 for a second injection into a different joint on the same day
Please reach out to our Lake Oswego office at (971) 330-8578 if you have any questions about this therapy or to book a session.
How Prolotherapy Works:
- Prolotherapy delivers a direct injection of dextrose to an injured area.
- The solution causes a purposeful, mild inflammation response near damaged tissue that helps new fibers to grow.
- Over a period of 3-6 weeks, specialized cells are mobilized to the area of injections and work to rebuild, tighten, and strengthen the tendons and ligaments that were previously injured.
How Many Injections are Needed?
- Complete healing requires 1-6 rounds of treatment spaced 3-5 weeks apart. On average patients usually require 2-3 rounds of injections for a full recovery.
- Patients can receive anywhere from 4-10 injections in each injured area per treatment, depending on the complexity and age of the injury.
Benefits of Prolotherapy:
- Quick recovery time with minimal disruptions to daily activities.
- Increased circulation and immune response to the injured area.
- Decreased healing time, especially for acute injuries.
- Strengthening of tendons and ligaments that support joints, preventing future injuries.
- Greatly decreases the chance for invasive procedures, like surgery.
- The injections contain a natural substance that works with your body to heal naturally. It will not suppress your body’s natural healing response as a steroid injection will.
Who Can Benefit from Prolotherapy Injections?
- Acute joint injuries (including Shoulder strain, ankle sprain, wrist sprain, etc)
- Chronic joint pain
- Torn meniscus
- Sacroiliac joint pain (acute or chronic)
- Degenerative joint disease
- Rotator cuff injuries/tears
- Labral tears (shoulder/hip)
- Sprained ankles
- Tennis/Golfers elbow
- Unstable joints
- Ligamentous laxity